Wednesday, February 26, 2014
A few fleeting days
I have been alive and well inside the BC Cancer clinic Vancouver Center. I have had lots of visits from great friends, which has been refreshing and eased my mind on things. They have talked about the harshness of the chemotherapy this round. Apparently they need to take out bone marrow so that they can reinject it into me after the chemo as all of my red, white bloodcells and bone marrow will be depleted. They also said that if I ever wanted to have children that this would kill any swimmers that I had left.
So I set off to the sperm bank, that morning my wonderful friend Victoria had come over from the island for a visit so she went to the sperm bank with me. It was ultra awkward from the moment we walked in they assumed we were in a relationship, obviously if we had come together. Things just got more and more awkward from there, tons of paperwork to fill out and then it was time to finally do the deed. I had thought that maybe being a bit comical would help the mood so after the nurse told me the protocol and that I would have my collection done in room 1b I asked "Can I get a hand with that?" I waited in the silence for a chuckle maybe a laugh and all I got was a very stern, "I said room 1b sir" Never try to have a laugh while donating sperm. That is the moral of the story. On a plus side, I did have some swimmers, so if I ever want to have some hellspawn they will be there waiting to impregnate that lucky lady.
I had been growing my hair out for cancer to donate as a wig for someone, after realizing that I would need Chemo and that my hair was soon to all fall out my sister decided that she would take up the torch and she cut off her beautiful long hair to donate to cancer survivors
I was so impressed and such a proud brother. It is random acts of kindness like this that keep me so motivated and strong. She is still such a beautiful woman.
My Fiance and dad have made it down to Vancouver and are down here for my treatments, actually dad heads home today and Lindsey is here to live with me through this nightmare. I know that everyone in my family would drop everything and come down here and be with me if I asked them too. I am such a lucky man. Yesterday we went down and walked around Granville island and had a nice little lunch and walked the docks staring at sailboats, my blue water dreams of cruising the world came flooding back. I cannot wait to make it out there again and do some sailing, June cannot come soon enough.
Chemo started last night, it is really strange being here again, lying in this bed, hearing the IV slowly leaching poison into your veins at a rate of 100ml an hour. I loathe this place. During my first run in with cancer they were pulling down the IV bag that was emptied of poison that they had just pumped into my lungs and put it into a special dispensary. I asked them what they did with the bags and they told me that they had to be burned off at 1500 degrees to sanitize it so that nothing was left. The joys of chemo!
I am so grateful though, things are great, the sun is shining and I am still strong, young and resilient. Things could always be so much worse. Stiff upper lip.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment