Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated..

Alright. Alright, there have been no rumors of my demise and things are going really good. I am back down in Vancouver and have already banged off my first day of chemotherapy. I am still able to eat and feel relatively good. All of that changes today when they change up my chemo protocol to cysplatin, the most awful drug I have had and the drug that just makes you feel for lack of a better term, so shitty. But I am not going to dwell on bad in this post I have so much amazing news! First, while me and Lindsey were up in Vanderhoof and relaxing we were looking over our finances (not relaxing at all) and realizing that after this round of chemo, with my outpatient clinics that I have to do over a period of 7 to 9 weeks (two rounds of this) depending on how well my recovery is we are going to be really hurting financially. We have been offered several places to stay but at times it feels like you are really burdening others by staying with them or straining relationships. On top of that we need to pay for flights, gas and just a slew of bills including some very expensive drugs which are not covered yet. It seems like when dealing with chemotherapy and the costs of living away from home and a permanent residence you just get completely nickel and dimed on everything. So we decided we would set up a fundraiser so that we could get some help financially for dealing with our situation. We decided that $5000 was enough to get us through the next 3-4 months of treatments and we prayed and hoped that it was not an unrealistic goal. What happened simply fascinated me, within 4 days it was shared by over 500 people on facebook. Within 2 days we had reached our goal and are now at $7,400. I was amazed at the generosity of people and how much they contributed and offered to help. I was amazed at the outpouring of love from friends and co-workers and complete strangers. The amazing generosity, it put me on a total emotional high. I could not believe how much how many people cared and reached out with donations, loving words, prayers and positive energy. I am so so truly blessed to be who I am today and have met the people that I have in this life. My Fiance was the one who set up the page and got the ball in motion and talked me into being able to accept the help of other people. What can I say "she is a gold digger and she ain't messing with no broke niggers" hahaha that song is ridiculous and I hate it. I had a really hard time being able to accept such generosity I am a pretty independant person but I was so grateful, still it blows me away. I am so blessed. My friend Marlee reached out and did some amazing networking through her group of clients and friends. You can check out the website they set up here; http://www.youcaring.com/medical-fundraiser/helping-jon-/143502 So then I came down to Vancouver with my spirits soaring but still a lot of questions and indecision in my head, when I originally started chemotherapy my cancer counts were at a staggering 40,000, which is crazy high considering they should be at 0. When I made it to the cancer clinic (3 hours late) they had not told me a check in time so we stayed at the hotel until checkout and had a leisurely breakfast overlooking the wharf and boats, it was delicious and very laid back and just nice to enjoy part of the day and not worry about cancer or needles or protocols or drugs. Anyways I arrived and got my blood drawn, and started the first day of chemotherapy late, because they had to wait for the bloodwork to get processed and then make the chemotherapy in the pharmacy so I did not start until late. Right before finishing off my cycle of chemo at 8pm the resident doctor came in to tell me that my tumor markers had shrunk to 140. What a load off of my mind. I mean how truly amazing is that. The doctor said he would be pleased if it was at 20,000 and it is at 140. Things are going very very well! I am feeling so optimistic and so hopeful with how thing are going to go. I am excited for tomorrow and to be finished this chemotherapy. The days are getting brighter, the medical aspect is starting to turn in my favor and I am so happy and grateful for today, for my family, for my fiance and for my wonderful friends, you are all so amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment